Saturday, March 7, 2015

Vitamin D vs. Disease

I was straightening up my linen cabinet the other day, while it snowed and snowed, and noticed some boxes of tissues that had been stored there, untouched, for a few years now. I realized that although I occasionally grab a tissue, I haven't had to have a box of Kleenex at hand for a long time now. I cannot remember my last cold, and the late summer allergy that used to make my nose run like a leaky faucet, well it hasn't shown up in a few years.

I've been taking a 1,000 Vitamin D3 supplement on and off for about 6 or 7 years now, and I've noticed that whenever I'm taking it regularly, I rarely get sick and my seasonal allergy symptoms are greatly diminished. About 12 years ago, I was getting sick all the time. I was eating a low-fat vegan diet and taking no supplements at all. Although I lost weight and felt ok, I was constantly coming down with something: influenza, colds, repeated bouts of stomach flu. I attributed it to living temporarily with my daughter's family and new grandson. But after I moved into my own home and was no longer exposed to every childhood illness going around the child care facility, I still got sick regularly and my allergies got worse.

Then I read an article that riveted my attention and got me started on Vitamin D. In short, in 2005 a California psychiatrist started giving patients in his psychiatric hospital ward 2,000 iu (International Units) of Vitamin D a day. When influenza swept the hospital, only the patients in his ward were unaffected. Earlier population studies had suggested a link between sunlight exposure and the occurrence of influenza, but the information from this California hospital was stunning. You can read more about this and Vitamin D's affect on the immune system here. I think this 2007 article from Life Extension Magazine may be the very one that I read and that got me started on this supplement. I'd highly recommend reading it... it's not very long.

Vitamin D seems to have become increasingly popular in the last few years. Studies have shown its relationship to diseases other than influenza, including tuberculosis, cancer, cardiovascular disease, and autoimmune diseases. A decade or two ago, most of us, and our doctors, thought Vitamin D was important only for helping the body absorb calcium. Thoughts about this vitamin certainly have changed!

Looking back, I see that my non-supplemented low-fat vegan diet was probably an important factor in my constant illnesses. Vitamin D can be found in many common foods, all exclusively of animal origin: milk, eggs, cheese, sardines, tuna. These had all been completely eliminated from my vegan diet. Sunlight is the other main source of Vitamin D, but studies have shown that sunlight intensity is not adequate to produce optimal levels of Vitamin D during winter months, and many people living in the northern half of the US or who spend much of their time indoors simply never obtain enough Vitamin D via sun exposure. This is even more true for people with darker skin, regardless of season or time outdoors.

This is the brand I've been taking.
Did Vitamin D deficiency play a role in my frequent illnesses and allergies? I'll never know for sure, but I see a pretty close correspondence my incidence of illness and my Vitamin D intake, so I'll keep on using it, thank you. I've read that D3 is the more effective form, so that's what I buy. The picture shows the brand I use, except I've been using the 1,000 iu version. But the psychiatric ward study found a 2,000 iu dose to be preventive, and the current recommended upper limit for adults is 4,000 iu. As noted, I've been taking a daily 1,000 iu gelcap, but I'm thinking of upping that to 2,000 iu in the fall and winter. I hesitate to go higher... more is not always better. But I do think the evidence shows supplementation with Vitamin D to be a very prudent health measure for older people. And fortunately, it's pretty cheap!

As always, I'm in no way a health professional. This is just information from what I've read and my own n=1 experiences. Please talk to your own physician and do your own research before taking any dietary supplements!







No comments:

Post a Comment