Thursday, January 29, 2015

Carfree in Retirement

I had to stop driving several years ago when eyesight issues made it hazardous for me to get behind the wheel. Even though I had known it was coming, the loss of freedom and mobility that driving had always represented to me was hard to get used to. I was surprised, however, at how quickly I got used to get around without a car. The upside was, of course, that I found myself free of the rather large cost associated with owning and operating a car.

The AAA (American Automobile Association) annually figures costs for operating various kinds of vehicles. Last year, they found that owning and using a car ranged, on average, from $6,957 to $11,039, with small sedans being the least expensive and SUVs the most. This may have decreased a little, what with the lower gas prices we're seeing. And there are ways to lower your costs, most notably buying an older car for cash, so that you eliminate the monthly car loan payments (although that has a way of increasing the costs of repairs to keep your older car running.)

Even $6,000 a year is a big chunk of change. You can do a lot with an extra $500 a month! Some of us have the choice taken away from us. But I know that a lot of retired folks do elect to give up their cars so they can afford to live on a reduced income. It can be a smart decision, depending on a number of factors.

  • Availability of Public Transportation. When I was anticipating retirement, and thinking about where I might live, I was already very sure that it had to be somewhere that had decent public transportation. A non-driving friend of mine used to live way outside of town with one of her married children. It was a beautiful, upscale area, but a disaster for a non-driver. Not only were there no sidewalks, but in many places the narrow, windy country roads didn't even have a shoulder for pedestrian use. The nearest bus stop was nearly a half-hour away, and it was dangerous and at times nearly impossible to walk there, notably when the weather was bad. She became virtually a prisoner in her home. She has since moved into the city, which strained her limited budget, but which allows her to have a life. Personally, I have always been a big believer in public transportation, and so made sure I bought a home close to a major bus line that will take me downtown to the bus hub or the train station, from where I can go just about anywhere. It certainly made things a lot easier when I had to stop driving. 
  • Proximity to Local Shopping. Even when you have a bus line nearby, it's really nice to be able to walk to local stores to do at least some of your shopping. Walking as transportation is free and very good for your health. It's nice to just pop over to the market or drug store for a few things. For me, it's a 15-minute bus ride to the nearest supermarket. But I can also walk to a small discount market, several ethnic markets (Mexican, Italian, and Korean), two different dollar stores, two bakeries, a seafood market, a bank, a library, and many restaurants. To my mind, one of the most important elements in a happy, healthy, carfree retirement lifestyle is living in a neighborhood where you have the opportunity to do a lot of your shopping and errands without even having to take a bus. 
  • Safety. My ability to walk in my neighborhood without becoming a crime victim was another important consideration. Many neighborhoods in my city that offer low-cost housing and proximity to public transportation and shopping have unfortunately high crime rates. And seniors are often considered good targets by opportunistic criminals. You don't want to be afraid to leave your home. But I also found a number of modest-cost areas where crime is lower or minimal. It's pretty easy to find crime information, but I think the most accurate source was a local police officer. Local residents, on the other hand, gave me wildly inaccurate advice, usually greatly exaggerating the amount of crime in certain areas.
So I am happy to say that I was lucky to stumble on an area that has proved to meet my needs quite well. I have a major bus line that stops within a block of my home, lots of local shopping, and minimal crime. I wish I could say that I had been very clever and analytical in choosing this neighborhood, and I was to some small degree, but really there was a lot of luck involved. I know that if I had unwisely chosen an area where I had to walk blocks and blocks to the nearest bus stop, or that had no local shops or restaurants, or where I felt unsafe venturing outside, I'd be living a much less satisfying life.

No comments:

Post a Comment